Friday, October 10, 2008

Harvest Time

Remember my very first post? It was about the "garden from hell." Well, I've done some work on it and now it's sharing it's bountiful harvest. I weeded a few times, put down weed barrier and mulched the hell out of it (get it? mulched the hell out of it... hopefully anyway). I made some wonderful soup with my squashes a few weeks ago and can't wait to make some more (recipe posted below). I may have to "accidently" leave some veggies on neighbors porches at this rate. I also got all the garden/flower beds cleaned out and mulched this year as well. Anyone who has seen my back yard in the past few years knows what a mess parts of it have been. I even cleaned out behind the tree in the corner and made a little hideout for Cooper. I say Cooper because Adriene is creeped out that there might be spiders in there.
 


SQUASH PUREE


3 cloves garlic, minced

3 large onions, chopped

6 tablespoons butter

5 quarts chopped summer squash

2 1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

1/4 cup water (more if necessary)

1 cup chopped fresh parsley


This puree, which freezes perfectly, can be used in a variety of casseroles and soups. Freeze the basic recipe, or preseason it for a favorite recipe.


Cook 5 to 10 minutes in a 15-quart pot.


Add and cook covered until squash is soft. Stir often. Puree well in blender. Freeze in labeled containers.

I took the recipe from one of my cookbooks. It’s listed word for word above.


I did less butter and parsley and more garlic for mine. To make the soup I just added a few cans of chicken broth to whatever thickness you desire. I also used winter squash (butternut) for mine and just cooked the squash 10 to 15 minutes on it’s own before adding the other ingredients and then cooked another 10-15 minutes.

1 comment:

{Le Petit Poulet} said...

This sounds yum yum yummy! Tonight I used some of your fantastic tomatoes and made the Caprase and bread for an appetizer for my inlaws. Thanks for the great idea and the delicious tomatoes.
Sorry we played super phonetag on Thursday let's chat this week for sure.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails