Monday, August 31, 2009

Not Quite Shirley Temple

Do you want to know how to go from STRAIGHT to curly overnight?


Since I'm a visual person I learn best with pictures so here are the step by step directions...

1. Wash the hair and let it air dry about 1/2 way so it's still damp but not dripping wet.

2. Split the hair into sections and twist, twist, twist until it twists
onto itself and secure it with bobby pins. I usually put at least 2 in the base of each twist. If one of the twists
comes undone, that section will not be curled and that's hard to hide.

3. Sleep on it overnight.

4. In the morning, take the bobby pins out and untwist the hair. You'll have these fun ringlets. That style by itself might be fun for "crazy hair day" at school.


5. "Brush out" the curls with your fingers initially always starting from the bottom of the curl up to the top. Lookin' crazy still. Hang in there. It will get better.


6. Now brush it out with a pick, again, starting from the bottom and working your way up to the top of the curls. This will help make the curls blend together.


7. Usually I finish the look off with barrettes on the sides (or at least the side with most hair) or a headband. The picture at the beginning is Adriene after she got home from school.

**Some important tips and things to ensure success**
  • I think it works best with hairstyles that don't have bangs
  • This doesn't work well with short hair... unless you're looking for the Shirley Temple look
  • Make sure you create the part before twisting the hair so that it falls the right direction. I think it probably looks best with side part. I haven't tried it with a middle part but it doesn't sound like it would look very good.
  • The curls will relax pretty quickly. Within an hour or two they will hang nicely and not be so tight... especially with fine hair like Adriene's that doesn't usually hold curls very long. If I curl her hair with pink curlers or a curling iron the curls are completely gone within a few hours.
  • I haven't measured how long it takes to put in the curls. About as long as it takes Adriene to read a Dr. Suess book. I usually park her in front of me on the couch while we're watching TV or when she's reading her bedtime story. In the morning, I would give only an extra 10 minutes or so... and I think it goes without saying that this is a hairdo that we only do on the days I'm getting her ready in the morning--definitely not a dad get the kids ready kind of hairdo. I think he'd shoot me. : )
This is what her hair looked like at the end of the day after school.

4 comments:

Denice said...

Nice!! So tell me how long it took you -- both for the twisting and for the untwisting.

Malma said...

How Fun!!!!!

maxfamclan said...

As a mother of so many straight, fine haired girls THANK YOU!!!! I am always looking for something else to do with their hair, and they have fine hair too...not something I am personally used to dealing with! Thanks for the tips!

Corinne said...

This looks so cute!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails