
We have not really taken the kids to church much since they've been born. Adriene is asking a lot more lately since her friends are turning 8 and getting baptized. So I thought we'd try it out. We're now on a quest to visit different churches and see what they are like. This is First Baptist where Matt & I used to go when we first got married. They do this thing where they tell a story to the kids at the front of the church then they go to "Kids Praise Club." My kids weren't sure they wanted to go so I went with them--and got stuck there. Apparently the sermon was great for the grown-ups. It was entitled "Why Pray?" Sounds right up my alley. I, on the other had got to learn about Jonah and the Whale.
That just reiterated for me what I don't understand about religion. So God asked Jonah to come to Ninevah (sp?) and when he didn't do it, he got punished by a giant storm and had to be thrown overboard to save the other people on the ship. Then he got swallowed by a whale. Lucky for him the whale had good intentions. I guess the lesson is to follow directions or you will be punished? What ever happened to positive reinforcement? I'm sure I'm oversimplifying but why so much "hell fire and damnation" in church?
3 comments:
I can really relate. It's a tough age when you are living in Utah and most of the kids are getting baptized.
Yeah, I guess that seems a little harsh! On the other hand, you could check out Veggie Tales' interpretation -- compassion and mercy. . .
i love that you snuck up front in the middle of church and took a picture! i strongly recommend the revival tents that sweep through the south side during the summers. the wiccan community is also awesome. and you really oughta try the gospelbaptists - no sleeping through the sermons there! i suspect the tongan and samoan communities have some going church action with seriously yummy socials after! it's all about the socials!
Post a Comment