Sunday, July 20, 2008

Hiking at Ruth Lake









I took the kids hiking while we were at the cabin over the weekend of July 12th. I found the shortest, easiest hike I could since it was just me and the kids... and we haven't gone hiking much. Maybe I'm a bad mom for not taking them out to enjoy the natural beauty we have right outside our own back door but better late than never, eh?

The kids did pretty well despite the fact that Adriene refused to eat breakfast that morning and had all her snacks eaten before we were half way to the lake, so of course Cooper had to eat the snacks early too! Luckily we had plenty of water with our Camelbaks on (thanks Aunt Michelle). Then Adriene had to pee at the top of the hike. We don't have much experience with camping and hence outdoor peeing for girls. We did pretty well--Adriene kept her pants dry! I was so excited... for her and for me not having to deal with a wet whiny kid. In true form Cooper then had to go potty, but of course it couldn't have been as easy as boy pee in the woods--he had to go poo! Well, we dug in (literally) and figured it out and again, stayed clean. He must have been saving that poop for a day it was so big. I've since learned about the altitude poop. Apparently the altitude makes it come :) What a glad mother I am. NOT!

We spent some time after that around the lake for about an hour where the kids found some cool old tree roots. Cooper's looked like a "horse unicorn" and Adriene's looked like a warthog. Can't you see it?

The hike back down was long and treacherous (if you hear tired kids tell the story). It swear it took over an hour to go 1 mile! Cooper's 2 other poops down the way didn't help with the speed at all either. At least we can say we've perfected the art of Cooper poop in the wild. The kids took power naps on the 1/2 hour ride back to the cabin... wish I could have too. The kids really enjoyed it after they got some rest and loved to reminisce about it later.

Even though it was a challenge, I'm glad we did it. I hope the kids will remember it will fondness.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails